Hi Y’all! Wow, my first website. That sounds like a children’s book, “Baby’s First Website”, haha. Actually… Hold on for a moment and let me just write that down- ah, done!
Now back to you learning more about me and hopefully me learning a little something about you too!
Top Eight Things to Know About Me:
1. I’m from Atlanta, GA. To be more specific I grew up in College Park and East Point, GA surrounded by my siblings and my cousins. I love the vibrancy of College Park but it’s changing quite a bit. I hope some things never change like the love in the food at Big Daddy’s yum!
2. I write children’s books and my favorite genre is picture books. Coincidentally, my first picture book, Hands Up! will be published in the summer of 2019 by Dial Books for Young Readers.
3. Growing up I dreamed of being a combo archaeologist/lawyer. I could make huge historical finds and then use my knowledge of the law to protect the artifacts and stuff that I found. I am not a lawyer but I do dream of becoming a college professor. When I finally grow up, I will be a professor/author/archaeologist, like the Indiana Jones of children’s literature.
4. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson and The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas are two of my favorite books. I try to reread them every year along with A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L’Engle which is probably number one in my top 5 fav books. I CANNOT WAIT for the new movie to come out next year #AMegLikeMe !
5. Traveling is one of my favorite things to do. Vacations kind of stress me out, I always feel like I should be working on a project, BUT when I finally do relax, I’m down for anything. Adventure is my middle name. Not really, but it should be.
6. Opera is amazing, and a great moment in the history of Bre was feeling goosebumps raise on my arms as Morris Robinson rang out the first line of “Bess You Is My Woman Now” at a concert I went to at Spelman College last year. My face was WET with tears, so freaking beautiful.
7. The sheer amount of concentrated love in the circle of exceptional black women and girls that surround me is magical. I’m blessed by their love, support and prayers.
8. I’m a proud alumna of Simmons College (MA Children’s Literature). This year one of my biggest dreams came true when I found out that I got a full scholarship to attend the University of Cambridge for my PhD, starting this fall. Look out for the kick off for my blog “College Park to Cambridge”. Go big or go home y’all!
If you feel like sharing your top eight so that I can get to know you too, contact me here.